Monday, December 29, 2008

Too long

It has been way too long since my last post to really catch up with what has happened. Basically this past semester was overwhelming -- far more overwhelming than I expected.

Volunteering at the special library has been going well except they are having financial difficulties and had to lay off a number of the staff. I have been helping out as best I can but the whole thing is frustrating. I am not sure how an institution that supports a college and a museum thinks closing the conservation lab and the archive is a good idea. Ugh!

I have also begun looking for librarian positions, I figure in this economy the earlier I start looking for a job the better the chance that I will have a new job near graduation in May. I am casting a wide net, looking at public and academic library positions as well as archives. This is furthering my belief that I was right when choosing classes that created an overall education rather than specializing in one type of librarianship. The whole thing is making me nervous, I was not planning on the economy to completely collapse...really not part of the plan.

I am definitely ready to be done with the library school part of this, I don't think two more classes are going to make me any more of a librarian than I am already. On the bright side one of my classes is an online course and the other is a weekend class so I am only on campus for about six days this semester. Which is good because if the snow these past few weeks is any indication it is going to be a bad winter.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My guess is that many were not planning on the dive in the economy. We are all in this together. With the support from others, we will all get thru it eventually - just as our grandparents and great-grandparents before us.

- GDM

Trude said...

I hear you on the job search. I've been unemployed since July, and been mostly living on unemployment since then until I started substituting in October, which hasn't added up to nearly enough to make a living! But I have faith in your smarts and talent that you'll find something! :)