Sunday, September 9, 2007

First Day

This weekend was my first day of class. My bizarre weekend class meets three weekends throughout the semester for 8 hours at a time. It was an intense weekend and now my brain is mushy.

The class is a reference class that covers both print and online sources. While sitting in class and being instructed on how to search the library's online catalog for books as well as using online databases I grew frustrated because these were systems I had already learned to use during my undergrad career. I realized that there really needs to be two separate classes for reference services. One for the "mature" student is going back to school after many years away and one for the student who recently finished their undergrad or another master's program. Having two separate classes that better fit the needs of the students would be more beneficial to our studies. To be honest there is little I know about print resources because of the emphasis of online sources during my high school and college education. It would be more advantageous if I were spending time learning about these instead of reviewing information about online resources that I have known about for a long time.

It is not a bad class on a whole but I think when it is presented in this format the days are very long and you just get bored and antsy. Yet at the same time this is a great option for people with tight schedules.

More updates in a few days after my Intro to Library and Information Science class

No comments: