Thursday, September 6, 2007

Visit to Special Library

Today I visited a special library. These tend to fall into two categories small and organized or completely disorganized and scary, sadly this was the latter.

I had high hopes for this library, I had wanted to volunteer there since it's interests and mine match well and they run on an entirely volunteer staff. I figured this would be a good way for me to get some additional experience in a library without the hassle of having "experience". So I decided to check it out and see if it would fit my needs.

I am very glad I did this instead of immediately deciding to volunteer without checking it out. Here is what I observed:

  • the smell, there was a distinct odor of rotting books and a need to clean
  • the man eating behind the desk, this could have contributed to the smell
  • clutter and disorganization, there were piles of books everywhere and the ones on the shelves were difficult to get to, also many computers that had no purpose
  • volunteers were not properly identified as staff
  • book sale being organized while open, random books that were not for public use and not properly labeled
  • scary and outdated displays
  • expensive benefit tickets starting at $250
All of this contributed to my not wanting to volunteer there. In reality they could benefit from my help but I feel that they would not be receptive to it.

If I were running the library this is what I would do
  • get dehumidifier and cleaning crew in to fix smell problem
  • no eating at the desk, that is what a break room is for
  • reorganize material so it is accessible, also get rid of multiple copies of books, no need to have three copies of same text
  • volunteers should have name tags or buttons saying "I work here" or something like that
  • organize book sale after hours so that patrons are not confused
  • displays must be reorganized to promote community in a positive and up to date way, posters from the 1980's while having a historical value should be put into perspective of the current issues
  • library benefit tickets should be affordable for all those in the community and should have a starting donation of $50 or $100 instead of $250 and up
I believe I will write to this library and let them know how I feel. I think they need to be awakened to the possibility that even though they have been around for 20 years they need to update.

No comments: