Saturday, September 1, 2007

Library Internship

I applied for a library internship at a suburban library. The position was for a children's literacy aid, developing programs and storytimes for children. Realistically I knew that I didn't have time for it but thought I should at least apply and maybe interview.

Sadly I was informed by this library that as a Certified Professional Governess and as a library school student I did not have enough experience for the internship. There were other applicants that had more experience in libraries and with groups of children. The funny part is that if I need experience to get the internship how am I supposed to get the experience. That is the whole point of internships.

I am not entirely bothered by this, there is a volunteer based library in the city that I am going to try to work at in my spare time. I have a feeling they will be more receptive.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is a dilemma. Establishing credit is another similar 'Catch-42'.

You seem a little more cynical than you were when you were younger. I wonder if your old man is rubbing off on you?